Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Observations, standards, teachers, administrators

I'm sure I'll stumble around for a while, but I hope to both consolidate my thoughts and lure others into a discussion of data-based observations, teacher support and evaluation, standards, and how all this can be improved.

My disclaimer - I wrote a piece of software for collecting timer and counter data while observering classrooms. it's called eCOVE Classroom Observation Toolkit and you can download a trial version at www.ecove.net.

However, that's my failed retirement activity. Here at least I'm more interested in exploring how supporting teacher professional development can be enhanced through objective feedback. Most current administrator observations are a process of impressions and judgments, sometimes based on a district set of standards, sometimes not. This isn't working to the benefit of teachers who want to further their skills, but is generally just a task for both administrator and teacher to get past. That's a shame and I think there is a better way.

The central idea is if an observation gathers data on teacher and/or student observable behaviors and that data is presented to the teacher for reflection and interpretation, those intelligent, educated and professional individuals are fully capable of self-directed professional development. The data has to be meaningful and should reflect what a teacher wants to know about their own classroom and students.

So please join in, lengthy or brief. Agree or disagree. Post questions or thoughts or solutions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - Thankyou for an exceptionally informative read and re-inforcement of my own thoughts, now if we can jst get a few Principals to look at and understand it as well